Monday, December 21, 2009

Slipper design problems...

I've been working on fine tuning the design of making slippers with felted wool sweaters. I haven't gotten to the finish line yet.
Below are the slippers for Eric. Mostly done, but I need him to put them on to figure out what I can do to make them fit him. This particular design isn't working because it's too open over the top of the foot and the back of the ankle leans in too much (isn't 90º to the floor).
The positive point on this design is the pattern shape of the fabric it takes that is conducive to cutting it from a felted sweater. I have blue suede leather on the souls, hand stitched.
Now I've been proto-typing a different cut. A very simple cut using a long strip, which is not easy to find in a felted sweater and would need to be pieced in most cases. In the attempt below I am not using wool, but a 'quilted' style of upholstery fabric.
The strip gets the ends rounded off:


1 comment:

  1. Very cool Deb.... could you put a button loop closure at the point were you need it to be snug?

    ReplyDelete