In the van Gogh theme PostmarkdArt trade I am finally finished stitching my cards. Two are waiting for the liquid stiffener on the back to dry. All cards were due April 30. Note to self: "Next trading round do not sign up for 4 trades, no matter how fun they could be".
20 years ago I loved doing little cross stitch things, and now...well, these cards kinda say what I feel about cross stitching today!
I painted the cloth first. I started out using some painters markers, which worked excellent, not changing the hand of the cloth, but they stink to high heaven.
Then I changed to acrylic paint, watered down. It didn't work well, but I didn't want to poison myself with the other pens. The main problem was the paint would clog up the holes in the weave. I had to switch from a rounded point needle to a sharp point needle and poke my way through paint some times.
Then I just started stitching.
I also started out by marking the 4" x 6" size on it and started stitching with 6 strands of embroidery floss.
[That reminds me of a quilt show I went to years ago in Idaho, someone had tied their quilt with real dental floss!]
Eventually I wanted a stitch going around it and when I started doing the typical needlepoint stitch I immedately had some type of PTSD from whatever project I last cross stitched. It's just no fun to stitch in an orderly fashion!
I made a few cards where I didn't do that outer stitch, I just stitched the picture up to my 4 x 6 lines.
After stretching them and putting the liquid stiffener on them I decided I didn't like it. I stretched them in a quilting hoop so that when I put the stiffener on them it would dry straight, but they went crooked anyhow.
So the last one I again put a needlepoint stitch around the edge and it didn't feel as painful as the other times. I guess I got used to it.
The picture below is the back of one of the cards. I didn't want a lot of thread on the back, so every time I stitched down into the fabric, when I came back to the front I only moved one hole over. The exception is the trees and all their branches, I had to make a mess.
All in all, I would make these again. Each one takes hours but I love the effect.